February 13, 2009

i battered your taters until your balls were crunchy

So test three! This one turned out extremely well and was friggin delicious. As a sports pub, our restaurant has a limited amount of things readily available that aren't chicken wings, so I gotta improvise. I'm always looking for things to make with potatoes, because let's face it, they are friggin awesome. I especially love loaded baked potatoes, twice baked potatoes or potato croquettes, and I wanted to try and recreate that taste in this test. So first I took some mashed potatoes out of a bag, although any left over mashed potatoes will work at all., but try to keep the potatoes as cold as possible. I then collected the ultimate baked potato ingredients; a handful of green onions, some sour cream, shredded cheddar and bacon bits, (the bacon can be omitted for veggie folk, but it adds loads of taste), a sprinkle of cajun and I also added a few shots of ranch for flavor. Grabbed all those guys and mixed them together, then placed them in the freezer for approx 20 minutes to stiffen up as the sour cream made them a little runny. I then took a bowl of breadcrumbs mixed with cajun spice (we have a lot lying around), and beat 2 eggs in a separate bowl. To make the balls, i took a golf ball sized amount and rolled it between my palms to make a smooth ball, i then dipped that into the beaten egg mixture, then rolled it into the breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs stuck well but the potato was still a little runny. It doesn't really matter that much at this point though because the fryer will create a nice crunchy coating with the breadcrumbs.

So I placed the balls in the fryer until the breadcrumbs were a nice brown. The result should be a nice crispy coating on the outside, and steaming hot baked potato flavored goodness on the inside. When i cut it open and tasted it, it tasted exactly like a fully laded baked potato should, creamy, crunchy and delicious. I will definitely recreate for side dishes for meals. I give it an 8 out of ten (enthusiastic!) fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment