February 20, 2009

it's my party and i'll fry if i want to...


Okay, okay, so my birthday was last week, but I still had a delicious piece of cake that my roommate Ashley baked me for my birthday. So test 5! Deep fried birthday cake! I took the piece of cake (pineapple/banana/cinnamon cake she told me), battered it in a light tempura style coating and deep fried it for a minute or so. Delicious!
I have written out a recipe for the batter this time, to make it easier to write down. this recipe can also be used for deep fried ice cream and fruit fritters.
batter
1 cup of flour
1 tsp of baking powder/soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of ice water
1 tsp vanilla extract
sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then mix together the wet ingredients in other bowl lightly. the water must be ice cold to insure a light batter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix lightly. do not over mix.
add the slice of cake and coat thoroughly. slowly lower the cake into the deep fryer. After about 30 seconds, the cake started to float and the top wasn't crisping, so I put another fryer basket on top to keep it submersed in oil. Now, the oil in the fryer should be as clean as possible, as any food fried previously will lightly incorporate that flavor into the batter, in my case, it had a slight taste of chicken wings, but was still delicious. When cake is nice and golden brown, remove with tongs and garnish with icing sugar, chocolate sauce, etc.

The batter was light and crispy, slightly sweet with nice crunch. Will definitely make again. Give it a 8 fries out of ten!

No comments:

Post a Comment