March 25, 2009

half assed frying: we have a wiener!


Okay, okay. So weekly fry blog was a little overly ambitious. I'm just so damn lazy! (and I was sick for a week, but excuses are still excuses). So test #6=the ghetto corn dog minus the corn. Now, the typical corn dog recipe calls for some cornmeal, but I didn't have any on hand so B just used plain old flour. bad idea. It was okay, but not delicious, as all deep fried food should be.
So to start, I took a delicious, delicious wiener and scored it a little so it wouldn't explode in the fryer. I grilled it first, because I damn well can, and things taste better that way. The batter I used was as follows:

ghetto corn dog
1 cup flour
1 egg
half can soda water
2 teaspoons baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of sugar

I should have used a pancake-like batter with milk and cornmeal.

half cup cornmeal
half cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
salt and pepper
sprinkle or more of sugar
1 egg
half cup of milk

(I'll redo the experiment with the new ingredients and post pics later, but for now, the recipe at hand.)

So I coated the dog in batter and place in the deep fryer for several minutes to get a nice brown coating. The dog will float, so try to keep it under the oil to brown evenly, or put another fryer basket over top. I kept it frying for a good 6 minutes and the hot dog came out nice and golden but the batter was a little loose, so next time I will coat with cornstarch or flour to keep the batter sticking. It was crunchy and not bad, but the corn dog would definitely be better. Of course, if you are deep frying hot dogs with a batter, you probably don't care anyway. It's good to know there are always ways to make things even worse for you. The hot dog itself was delicious, I ate it with mustard, but the batter was lacking.I will definitely try this again with a more suitable batter, but for this week I give it 4 fries out of ten
.

1 comment:

  1. Has this bloggity blog fell into the great deep fryer in the sky?

    ReplyDelete